The Real Top Ten- it's actually 20- After Ten Years In LA-

Okay, this morning I posted my esoteric, mystical, magical, transcendental list of the TOP TEN THINGS I HAVE LEARNED IN TEN YEARS OF LIVING IN LA.

Now, here's my OMG that's freaking wild, weird or awesome top ten list:

THE TOP TWENTY AWESOME FREAKING THINGS 
THAT HAPPENED IN LOS ANGELES 
OR BECAUSE OF LIVING HERE

20. Getting my SAG card on the set of "Because I Said So." Also, getting to work on That 70s Show the second day I was here. #stilltookmeyearstogetanagent

19. Serendipity... the first night I was in LA, I went to a party of a friend of a new roommate. Months later, when I moved in with a woman I ended up staying with for 5 years, I learned she was at the same party! Or how about the time that I met, at another party, a boy who lived a few blocks from me in Minneapolis but I never met until LA? Or how about when I moved here, the first day, the only person I KNEW was a music producer that I called who happened to be driving by my house at that exact moment? #serendipity 

18. Recording and releasing poet's lovely daughter (2009). #musicmatters

17. I love acting class. Truly, madly, deeply, I love scene study. #actorslife

16. That time I got 86'ed from a dive bar whose name I cannot remember- something like Grey Fog- because I stage dived from the top of the juke box during karaoke into the crowd with the intention of crowd surfing. There were only ten people. #NoHablaIngles? Also, I swear #8 is really true. I was just unruly.

15. Meeting Jane Russell at the Playboy Mansion's New Year's Eve Party. One of my FAVES! #GentlemenDon'tAlwaysPreferBlondes

14. That half a second I was an "It" girl and hung out with my then- manager who thought he was my boyfriend but really wasn't at all the hot LA places that were impossible to get into. #SomethingAboutBeingBigInJapan #YesPlease

13. Meeting, mostly through work, and therefore massaging, a lot of celebs. Honestly, I don't care about most celebs I've met as I am too busy working on my own career, but it was kinda cool to offer healing to some of my heroes. #IAmTheWindBeneathTheirWings

12. Getting to perform at iconic Hollywood locales including the House of Blues, the Comedy Store, the Viper Room. #SunsetStrip

11. That time a famous model tried to teach me how to marry for money. #Can'tNameNames

10. Touring out to SXSW in Austin TX and experiencing Santa Fe and Tucson as well! Having family and friends and relatives come on purpose or on accident to hear me sing! #DesertRose

9. Meeting Prophecy Rock with my friend Debbie and my sister in the Hopi Village of Oraibi. That whole trip was magical. Thank you, indigenous peoples... #WeAreOne

8. When I joined AA because of a boy. Turns out I'm not an alcoholic, but was willing to pretend to be to get a boy to like me. #MayISuggestAlAnon?

7. All the guys I dated had handles. Okay, fellahs, you may not have known this but... you all had handles so my friends knew who you were... of course, some of them may not even have realized I considered it dating.... okay.... hung out with? Is that better? So there was So and So from San Francisco, So and So The Writer, So and So the Bass Player. #UntilIMetTheOne

6. Meeting amazing friends. A lot of my friends come into my life for a show, a project, or a class, and then disappear for a few months or a few years, but every time we come around again, we are bonded and connected through our passion for storytelling and art! #FriendsForever

5. One of my sweetest friends is the world's premiere Charlie Chaplin impersonator and he took me on a personal tour of Charlie Chaplin's Hollywood, including a bar around the corner from my old house. #HollywoodHistoryRocks

4. Devotion, and re-devotion, to vocal study. I have been so lucky to go to Manhattan School of Music, to study with amazing teachers like Seth Riggs and Calvin Remsberg, and meet my current amazing teacher who has changed the way I sing for the better, Gary Busby. Also, I have been able to meet and work with and become friends with great musicians and songwriters like Bernie Larsen, Jeremy Weinglass, Russ Foreman, Pam Yan, Andres Uribe Lopez... and I have been continually inspired by the works of my fellow singers and songwriters as well, especially Anzu Lawson. #DisciplineLeadsToMastery

3. My sister moved here! #ThereWereNeverSuchDevotedSisters

2. I became mom to a fur baby! #ILoveHenry #puppies4ever

1. Meeting the love of my life #whoknew

Popular Posts