My Favorite Movies: An Evolving List, Part One

Recently, I have been thinking about my favorite movies...

Well, who am I kidding? I am always thinking about my favorite movies...

So I thought I would start a blog with a running list discussing my favorite movies and why!

Mind you, these are not the *best* movies, but my *favorite* movies...

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, HERE IS PART ONE!


Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

    I saw this movie as a young girl. My mother and I went to see it in a theater that used to be in downtown St. Cloud, MN. I mean, it may very well still be there, but I haven't been there in so long! After the movie, there was a live polka band in the downtown St. Cloud Square outside of Herberger's Department Store. After that, we rented it for family functions so many times we eventually owned it. This is a movie that my siblings and I- and now, my partner- can all quote, and do, often.
 
    Why I love this movie:

     First of all, I have always loved movies about con artists. When I was a girl, I always wanted to be a movie star, singer, novelist, jewel thief, and con artist. Ha!

    Of course people who know me personally know that Steve Martin is one of my heroes, but so is Michael Caine! Michael Caine's book on acting is one that changed my life as well as my approach to being an actor.

    I LOVE the scenery, and the music, and the hilarity and laughs of COURSE! Steve Martin's ability to go from vulnerable and accessible to over the top and crazy (yet still somehow real) is up there with the other great comedian, Peter Sellers.

    But REALLY, the OTHER reason I adore this film, is that it is the woman who seems the most unlikely who ends up being the greatest master mind of them all. Not just that there is a twist to the story, but that it is a girl next door who is the most brilliant and this game of wits and wiles... that makes me so happy.




Chico y Rita

    
     I saw this film as one of the Oscar Nominated Animated Films for the year that "The Artist
 won best picture. No offense to The Artist, but THIS MOVIE KICKS ITS DERRIERE. It's an animated feature film, but it's sexy, and full of longing, and lust, and loss, and love, and joy, and laughter, and smiles, and did I mention jazz? Incredible Cuban jazz?






MORE TO COME....

Popular Posts