Learning from the Cat Lady!

So there is a lady in my hood- secretly called the Crazy Cat Lady- and often Henry and I walk by her house which has a gorgeous flower garden in the front yard. As Henry stopped to do a bit of business, and then I paused to clean it up, this woman came out and told me how much she hates dogs. She was flanked by two HUGE and gorgeous cats: a calico one the left and a fluffy white cat on the right. She made a point that she hates dogs because they ruin her (perfect) yard. I instantly apologized and told her I would be sure Henry NEVER stopped at her yard again, and that I didn't realize it was a problem because I always clean up after him. She dropped her fists from her hips and said, "You can see up and down the side of the yard where the dogs have ruined it." Honestly I couldn't see what she was talking about, but I tried to see things from her point of view. So I said, "I am so glad you told me. I had no idea and I'm so sorry it's been such an issue! Thank you for telling me." She smiled and nodded. Henry and I moved on........ .......... .......... What I like about my story is that (although i still don't know her name, I should have said, "I'm Erin, I live just down the street and I am glad to know you," but I honestly wasn't that aware yet......) just some kind interaction is all it took to remove the animosity. She still dislikes dogs, but I am no longer an enemy and I will respect her wishes about her yard. I can only imagine the amount of energy it must take to freak out about every dog in the neighborhood. Next time I'll find out her name so I don't call her Mrs. Cat Lady. ;-p We're all learning!

Popular Posts